AAA batteries used to be rechargeable in the old times. Dry cell-like AAA is used to power simple electronic gadgets at home like remote controls, wall clocks, radios, flashlights and the like. That is why when rechargeable batteries came; more people switch to the rechargeable batteries.
How do we recharge an AAA battery? There are two ways to charge an AAA battery. One is by using the charger meant for it, and the other offers alternative ways to charge cells even without a charger.
Here are some of the alternative methods to charge an AAA battery:
Method 1: Using the battery charger
Method 2: Alternative ways of Charging Batteries without a charger.
1. Using Lemon Juice
2. Putting In The Freezer
These are the known tricks and methods to recharge a battery. Alkaline batteries lose their energy fast. Even when you store it after purchasing, it loses its charge in the long run.
More Information About The Alternative Ways Of Charging
Battery charging can save us from buying alkaline batteries endlessly. You can just pay 3 pairs of batteries and you can use it interchangeably. There are many ways of charging your batteries. These methods are a combination of the normal and alternative ways to charge your batteries.
Method 1: Using A Battery Charger
The most known method of charging batteries is by using a charger. All rechargeable batteries come with a compatible charger. You can charge your batteries by simply placing your batteries in the charger compartment and plug it. A light indicator will tell you if the battery is already fully charged.
My Best Picked Of AAA Battery Charger
Taken from Amazon.com, these are my best choices for an AAA battery charger. Read the following review for each type of charger, and you can choose for yourself the charger that will suit your needs.
1. Energizer Battery Recharger
It is one of the most economical ways to charge Energizer batteries. Energizer Battery Recharger is a single charger only. It can charge up to 4AA, 4AAA, 4C, 4D or 1.9V NiMH batteries.
It has reverse polarity protection that can guard and protect the batteries from the damage brought about by an incorrectly installed array. An LED display status indicator will inform you if the charging process is already completed. This charger also has a Safety shutoff so there will be no wasted energy.
Energizer Recharge Universal Charger is a charger for all types of alkaline batteries. Having this type of recharger will allow you to save a lot of money than buying AAA batteries over and over again.
● It works well with Energizer batteries.
● It charges 4AA, 4AAA, 4C and 4D and 2 9V NiMH batteries.
● It can charge different batteries of different sizes.
● It is a fast charger. Only three hours to charge 4AA batteries.
● It has easy to read LED display.
● It has an auto shutoff which works against overcharging.
● You cannot charge a single battery on this charger.
● The prong plug is adaptable for the US use only.
Brand Name: Energizer Battery Recharger
Product Dimension: 2.8 x 5.1 x 11.6 inches
2. Panasonic BQ
Panasonic BQ is one of the best according to most customer reviews. It is a compact charger with a fold-out plug for AC. It can charge up to 4 batteries at the same time and has an indicator light that will signal if the battery is dead, fully charged or midway.
● It has advanced and individual quick charging technology.
● It charges 4AA or 4AAA in 3 hours.
● It has individual cell charging.
● It has an auto-shutoff mode.
● It needs a special charger adaptor if you use it abroad.
Brand Name: Panasonic BQ
Product Dimension: 2.7 x 1.1 x 4.8 inches
Product Weight: 4.2 ounces
3. La Crosse Technology
This battery charger is considered to be more complicated and more expensive than other brands. But the price you have to pay is worth it. You can use this charger to squeeze out all the remaining juice from your batteries.
By using La Crosse Technology, you have the power to choose a lower charge rate, to refresh the batteries that you haven’t apply for a long time, to test the batteries’ capacity and a lot more.
With La Crosse Technology there is more button to press compared to a Panasonic which is set automatically. Using this kind of charger will bring you a little extra benefit, then this could be the charger for you.
● It is the battery charger for NiMH, NiCad AA, and AAA cells.
● It has four modes; the charge, discharge refresh and test.
● It has an individual compartment for every battery.
● It has its LCD with a mode selection for multitasking.
● It operates on a 100 -240V AC input.
● It has 3 charging options; 200mA, 500mA, and 700mA.
● It can detect overheating.
● It should not be used with any other batteries.
● It measures up to 5 inches long by 3 inches wide.
● It comes with a 1 yr. Warranty.
● It is precisely for charging NiMH and NiCd type of batteries.
Brand Name: La Crosse Technology
Product Dimension: 2 x 3 x 5 inches
Item weight: 13.6 ounces
4. RayHom 8 Slot Battery Charger
It is an eight-slot battery charger with advanced features that helps it to work more efficiently. Though it is an eight-slot charger, you can still charge a single cell on it.
The status indicator is very accurate that you will be able to count how long your batteries will last. It has an auto switch that enables it to switch to float mode when it reaches the full charge. Therefore, there will be no danger of overcharging. One good thing about this charger is that it is backed with a one year warranty.
● It has a slow self-discharge battery.
● It has a lighted LCD screen that shows the charging status.
● It is safe and secured to use.
● It has a double-charging speed.
● It offers a 30 days money-back guarantee.
● The warranty says it has 12 months, but the after sales service is not good enough. It makes it hard to contact their customer service.
Product Dimensions: 7.7 x 3.2 x 2.9 inches
Item Weight: 1.05lbs
5. Amazon Basics Battery Charger With A USB Port
It is a four-slot NiMH battery charger that comes with a USB port — one of the cheapest brands in the market today. However, the quality and features of this charger can surpass the branded names in the market.
This charger is ideal for traveling. It conforms to the international standard voltages, so you can use this one anywhere you go. With its built-in USB port, it will be easier to charge and use it anywhere.
● It is a NiMH charger that comes with a USB port.
● It can recharge 2 or 4 AA and AAA NiMH batteries at the same time.
● It works against the wrong polarity and overcharging.
● It has a built-in switching power for international voltage regulation.
● It is ideal for traveling.
● It is not capable of charging a single cell independently. You can only charge batteries in pairs.
Brand: Amazon Basics Charger
Product Dimension: 4.5 x 2.8 x 1.5 inches
Item Weight: 5.6ounces
How Long Will It Take To Recharge AAA Batteries?
AA and AAA alkaline batteries like Energizer is easy to estimate when it comes to charging time. Just divide the battery capacity to the charger’s charge rate. You may then increase the amount of time for about 20% to give room for the amount of inefficiency.
Keep in mind that a battery takes quicker to charge if it is only partially discharged. Typically, it only takes 4 hours to charge an AA or AAA batteries.
How Long Does AAA Battery Last?
The life of an AAA battery typically depends on the usage. For example, a clock may last for about six months using a standard battery, may last a year with an Alkaline battery and two to three years for a lithium rechargeable battery.
Method 2: Charging Batteries Without The Charger
1. Using Lemon Juice
If you do not have a charger and your batteries are not rechargeable, but you wanted to try if you can recharge it, the best way to do it is by using lemon juice. The juice of the lemon has acids that will allow the electrons to flow in the battery again.
By using lemon juice, you will be able to restore for up to 85% of the battery’s stored energy. You need to submerge your AAA battery in a cup of lemon juice for approximately one hour.
Bring it up and allow the battery to dry. Place the battery in any gadget that uses AAA battery, check if it’s already working.
2. Putting Int The Freezer
Merely putting your alkaline batteries in a plastic bag on the freezer won’t be able to charge it. That is the common misconception. However, the practice of placing batteries in the freezer can help in the preservation of the battery’s shelf life. These alkaline batteries will gain five times more power if stored in the fridge.
However, you cannot immediately use the cells from the freezer. You should allow it to warm a bit to room temperature to function well. Remember that a fridge will not charge a dead battery.
If you are interested in knowing more of this specific topic, then click here.
AA and AAA batteries are the batteries where we grew up with. It is part of our household. If you only know how to recharge AAA batteries, you can save a lot from buying disposable batteries. Rechargeable alkaline batteries can last longer if you know how to charge them correctly.