Having the basic knowledge and awareness about the important things about car batteries will not only allow you to get the most of it, but it will also help you save money.
Information like how to test a car battery, or the proper knowledge about the different types of batteries will help you get the best suitable battery for your car and keep it in top shape.
That will reduce the risk of having a dead battery and keep you from getting stranded in a specific location. It will also avoid the situations where your mobility is limited which can be a very frustrating issue.
This article will provide some of the basic information about car batteries. It will give you an idea of how much voltage a car power cell should have as well as the different ways of checking your car battery at home.
These are very useful information that will help you keep your power cell in check and keep it in top shape, allowing you to get the optimum performance that you need from it. So, to start learning these aspects keep reading until the end.
3 Ways That You Can Do To Check Your Car Battery
To help you with this, here are the three ways that you can do to check your automotive battery at home. These simple tricks are enough to help you identify any issues the power cell might have, allowing you take the right steps and get it back to shape.
● Physical Inspection – One way of checking if your car battery if its bad shape or in good is by doing a complete physical inspection of your power cell. Checking for it for any physical damage like broken battery terminal, indentations that may cause leaks and other things that may affect the battery’s performance. This will allow you to see if the battery is severely damaged and if it needs to replace. Doing this is free and will only cost you a bit time. It is such a great way to keep your automotive battery in check to see if it’s still in a good condition.
● Voltage Check – Another way to take good care of your car battery is by conducting a voltage check regularly. This can be done in two ways, and both ways are described above. By doing this, you can make sure that your battery still has the charge that it needs to start the engine of your vehicle. If you have the instruments to conduct this tests, then it is a great way to see whether your power cell can still provide the power that you need to start your car as well as to power its electronic components. So make sure that you do this regularly.
● Load Testing the Battery – Conducting a regular load test to your battery is also another great way to see your battery is still in good shape. A lot of car experts and automotive mechanics recommend to this regularly because it is a very simple test to do and you can do it for free. By doing this test regularly, it will allow you to know what is the real condition of the power cell that will let you take the necessary steps on how to fix the issues the battery may have.
How Much Voltage The Car Batteries Should Have?
It will also help you to keep your automotive power cell in shape. An automotive battery should have 12.6 Volts or higher when it is fully charged.
And if the engine starts running this voltage should go up to the range of 13.7 up to 14.7 Volts. You can measure this voltage by using a multimeter.
If you get a reading that is lower than this values, then that will mean that there’s a problem with your car battery or with your alternator or the connection.
How To Check The Charge Of An Automotive Battery
There are two tests that you can conduct to check the charge of a car power cell. They are both accurate to their readings, but these tests use different instruments. To get to know more about these two methods they are both defined below.
● Checking the Voltage with A Voltmeter – The first method you can do to check the charge of your car battery is the battery test that uses a voltmeter or a multimeter. This test is simply done by connecting the meter’s probe to the respective terminals of the car battery and giving the power cell a light load by turning on the headlights. Then wait for the reading on your device.
● Conducting the Electrolyte Gravity Test – This is the other method that you can do to check for a vehicle’s battery’s voltage. This is a battery test that uses a hydrometer to check your vehicle’s battery voltage. To conduct this test, all you have to do is to use a hydrometer and submerge its tip in each battery cell. Then squeeze the bulb of the device then release it until the device measures the specific gravity of the electrolyte.
Having the information on this article and keeping them in mind will help you expand the awareness about car batteries. This article provided you the information like ways to test your vehicle battery’s voltage.
So if you are a car owner and you don’t have any idea about car batteries, you can use this article as a reference in the future. or You are free to ask Battery Man Guide!
Hi, I am Mark Neal From San Francisco in the United States. I’m the founder of BATTERY MAN GUIDE since last December in 2017. My team from Philippines and i have been working very hard to write lot of articles about “product reviews” and “how to guide” on batteries we believe they will help for what you look for! You may sometimes find some incorrect grammars and less engagement dialogue but we will improve our contents continuously along the way. To be honest, we are still not well established battery website, but we are trying to become an authority in this industry in the future by providing valuable information for our readers. With that being said, thank you for visiting at BATTERY MAN GUIDE and we are looking forward to having a great relationship with you!