Using key fob for keyless entry for cars and vehicles are the in-thing nowadays. It provides comfort and convenience to car owners to open up their vehicles without having to use their keys. We all know that it is a hassle to open the car door by inserting the key in the key slot.
It will be difficult, especially if you are holding on to something. Nissan is one car brand that moves with the trend of keyless entry. However, there are many issues involved in using Key fobs. A failing battery is one.
Why isn’t Nissan key fob not working after battery changed? One of the most common reasons why most newly replaced batteries for Nissan do not readily work. We can blame the electronic system of the Key fob, which automatically resets when a battery is replaced.
However, resetting the battery may solve the problem. In case your Nissan did not work after the Remote’s battery replacement. Then you can try detaching the battery terminals for about 10 minutes before attaching them again. It is one of the ways to reset the programming in your Nissan.
Just as we thought that all key fobs are a great help for us, key fob concerning issues are also escalating. Battery failure is one of the most common problems in a Nissan key fob. To avoid encountering problems and issues like these, it will be helpful to carefully watch out for signs of a weak battery and replace it right away before the battery dies.
How Do You Start a Nissan With a Dead Key Fob?
Battery failure happens when you least expect it. You should always be ready for these circumstances. So, how will you lock and unlock your Nissan door if your Key Fob battery is already dead?
● To Lock and Unlock the doors of your car.
● Try to flip the back of your key fob.
● Pushover the small release latch.
● Pull out the emergency key from the bottom of the fob.
● Use this key to open the car doors.
Starting the Car: If there is a key fob slot.
● Insert the emergency key in the key slot if there’s any.
● If there are no key slots, insert the Key fob in a port beside the steering wheel.
● Stepped on the brake pedal/clutch and press on the start/stop button.
Just press on the brake or clutch pedal and then press the key fob on the Start/ Stop button.
There you go, there is still hope even when your key fobs run out of batteries. Remember the technique, and you will never be stranded with your car.
Why Would My Nissan Key Fob Stop Working?
Several issues or concerns can be blamed when your Nissan key fob stops working. Try to check if any of this concerning issues could be the cause of trouble for your Key fobs.
1. Key fob Batteries
One of the common causes, why a key fob stops working, is battery failure. When the battery is weak, there is no way you can use it. Make sure that it is the battery having problems. Remove the old battery and replace it with a new one. You must be very sure that the designated battery is the one you have. Check out its specification in the car’s manual to be sure.
2. Damage Internal Contacts in your Remote
Key fobs are the most abused electronics, and they are liable for destructions. The most common cause of failures is the battery terminal contacts and the battery itself. To check this thoroughly, you have to check it out yourself.
Dismantle the remote control and carefully inspect the parts. You could quickly tell if there are parts that are already broken. Soldering them back can also fix your fobs.
3. Reprogramming the Remote
If the key fob does not connect with your car after a battery replacement, then it is a sign that you need to reprogram the newly replaced Key fob battery. Reprogramming is required to make your car remote function again.
4. Replacing the Remote itself
When there seems to be no luck, you must already bring your car with a professional, to make sure that it is working. Replacing the remote control of your vehicle is the best decision ever.
You can buy it from your local dealers to make sure that it matches your car. A new remote control will have to be reprogrammed before use.
How to Reset the Nissan Key Fob After a Battery replacement
Most Nissan cars need to be reset after replacing the key fob battery. It is effortless to reset the programming in your Key fob. Follow these simple steps, and you are all set for newly replaced Key fob battery.
1. Reset all your Key fobs if you have more than one and put them all together. If you only have one, then have it ready. Sit in the driver’s seat and make sure that all doors are closed.
2. Put the key in the ignition slot and turn it “on.” Hold and press the lock button on your key fob for at least a second. Turn off the ignition key and do it for five seconds while turning the key on again. Do not remove the key after turning it to the “off” position.
3. Repeat number 2 for three more times, and on the fourth try, the locks should be making the usual noise when you turn it on. The noise signals that it is already programmed. Remove the key and step out of the car. Close the door and check if the remote is already working. Keep repeating the process if it fails.
Learn if you are interested in this topic on how to change a Nissan car key battery.
Can We Reprogram the Key Fobs All by Ourselves?
Yes, it is possible to do the reprogramming ourselves. All you need is a blank remote and the correct instructions for programming. If the remote is not empty, it will be impossible to reprogram it.
What is the best option for a Key fob replacement?
There are three options for a Key fob replacement. One is to seek the help of a professional locksmith. We consider this as the best choice. The second one is to bring it to your dealer.
Well, this could not be the best choice because your car dealer will be selling a new fob replacement and do the programming for you. They will charge you for this. The last option is to do the programming on your own.
How Much Does a Battery Replacement Cost?
If you go to your dealer, the least you would spend for a battery replacement would cost around $150 to $200. Local battery stores can sell from $40 to $54. A locksmith can charge about $80 and $134 with the key programming added. If you want to save money, maybe you can reprogram the key on your own. You can quickly check the internet on how to do it.
Why isn’t a Nissan key fob not working after battery replacement may mean so many factors. The battery isn’t the only thing that would cost its failure. Learn the different causes of why a key fob is not working properly even after a replacement. It will save you a lot of money.
1. Intelligent smart key not working – Nissan Club
2. Key fob doesnt work i have replace the battery – JustAnswer
3. How to Unlock $ Start Your Nissan if the key Fob Battery Is Dead – Frisco Nissan Dealer
4. Why Isn’t My Car Key Remote Working? – Lifewire
5. How to Reset the FOB Remote Starter Key – It Still Runs
6. Car key replacement for less – Consumer Report