Battery Tender intended for motorcycles are very helpful and essential to those who want to keep their batteries running for a long time. It will be handy for motorcycle riders to have a battery tender handy with them all the time. They could never tell when they will be in a situation that their cells will no longer start.
What is the best motorcycle battery tender? Based on my research on the online website shops and portals like Amazon.com, the best one for them is the Battery Tender Plus 021-0128.
The Top Rated Motorcycle Battery Tender Reviews
Let us take a look at the top-rated battery tender for a motorcycle on Amazon.com. This battery ranking is based on the choices of people who have used the product and has proven excellent and efficient. Read through and find out which battery tender is right for you.
1. Battery Tender Plus 021-0128
BT Plus 021-0128 is the kind of charger that is made to charge the batteries fully. It is also used to maintain the proper voltage and avoiding the damage that it may create from the trickle chargers. It includes a harness that quickly connects for areas that are hard to reach.
The temperature is absorbed to make sure that the maximum voltage charge goes with the prescribed temperature or climate. It also has an auto switch that converts it from fully charge to the float charge mode.
This Battery Tender runs at 1.25 amp and will be charging quicker than a 3 amp charger you have. The reverse polarity is designed to give ample protection to the users. When you connect the wrong polarity, the red and green lights will flash alternately. It even comes with a ten-year warranty.
● It is fast and efficient.
● It includes a harness that quickly connects the difficult areas to reach.
● It charges fast having that 1.25 amp.
● It protects the user with its reverse polarity indicator.
● It includes the circular terminal and alligator clamps.
● It is an auto switch from full to float mode.
● Poor customer support.
● Failed warranty.
● It does not last long.
Model: BT Plus
Item Weight: 2.3 lbs.
Product Dimension: 11 x 4 x 11 inches
2. Battery Tender 022-0185G-dl-wh
This BT plus model works with a high-efficiency rating. It is powered with a 1.25 amp charger. Designed and crafted to give your battery the charge that it needs. It can also maintain the power of your cells by giving it the right storage for its voltage rate by protecting the assault against the trickle charges.
It comes with the rounded terminal harness that enables the users to reach the most unreachable areas. It also has an alligator clamp which is needed for using an alternative connection.
● It has an input of around 100 to 240 VAC.
● It has an auto switch from full charge to a floating mode.
● It bears a reverse polarity for the users’ protection and safety.
● It gives an alternating flash when in the wrong polarity.
● It conforms to the California charger type.
● Warranty issues.
Item Weight: 1.8lbs
Product Dimension: 9 x 4.8 x 11 inches
3. Battery Tender 12 Volt Junior Automatic Battery Charger
This BT 12 V Automatic Charger gives you more than just a trickle charge. It can think on its own, it is compact and portable and is automatic. You can easily use this charger even in a small confined space.
This BT charger will help keep your battery to become fully charge so that you can use it anytime you want. It was built with a microprocessor which can control the charger and the maintainer in one.
It is carefully crafted to prolong the life of your batteries. It is most commonly used in cars, ATVs, motorcycles, marine boats, airplanes, and even a generator.
If you will be stocking up your vehicles or any equipment that is battery operated, a battery tender is always and highly recommended.
● It is spark-proof and protected by the reverse polarity mode.
● It can ideally charge a 12V flooded AGM and sealed batteries as well as a lead-acid battery.
● It has a complete charging program with four steps.
● It has an auto charge mode that switches from full to float charge.
● It is compact and lightweight.
● It gets easily busted.
Model: Junior Charger
Item Weight: 1.8lbs.
Product Dimension: 8 x 4 x 9 inches
Is There Any Battery Tender For Lithium Ion Motorcycle Battery?
Yes, there is a battery tender for a lithium-ion intended for motorcycle batteries. There are several models of battery tender that are meant for lithium-ion batteries of motorcycles. See and read the following reviews for a battery tender made for lithium-ion motorcycle batteries.
Battery Tender Lithium Junior Charger For Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries Green
This BT charger model, a Lithium Junior Charger made for a Lithium Iron Phosphate Green, is used to give charge and maintain a powersport lithium battery.
It has a 12V and a 750 amp charger system. What is more unique in this battery tender model type is that it has a 5 stage charging process which aids the deeply wasted lithium batteries.
This charger can protect and recharge at the same time. It also bears a float mode with a 13.6 V. It is colored green to make a unique distinction from the BT Junior maintainer.
● It can fully charge and maintain Li-iron phosphate batteries.
● It has five charging steps.
● It comes with a 5-year warranty.
● It is protected with a reverse polarity system.
● It is not water-proof.
Item Weight: 1.05lbs.
Product Dimension: 7.2 x 3.8 x 9 inches
Battery Tender Solar Charger For A Motorcycle: What’s The Benefit Of Using It?
A solar battery tender charger is nothing different from a regular battery tender charger. The only thing that sets them apart is the source of energy. A regular BT’s strength comes from an electrical outlet. However, solar BT gets its power and heat from the sun.
Counting the benefits of Solar BT charger, we can name the following as the best advantage over the regular charger.
1. You have a free source of power and energy.
2. You will never have to worry about distances and plug outlets. You can bring it anywhere. It is cordless or wireless.
3. It can save you tons of money from paying your electric bills.
4. It is lightweight and portable.
5. It is perfect for an outdoor location and use.
6. It has a built-in compensation for the temperature sensor.
7. It comes with a five-year warranty.
Battery Tender 021-1163 5W Solar Maintainer With Built-in Super Smart Charger Controller
Benefit from the power and heat of the sun with this BT model Solar Maintainer. This model comes with a smart controller that is already built-in the product itself. You can be sure that it is a 100% compact and portable. You may carry it anywhere you go.
It is suitable for charging and maintaining your batteries. Perfect for storage areas without access to power outlets. These solar chargers are the only ones that come available with a built-in smart controller that works to prevent overcharging the batteries.
● It is a solar charging panel.
● It has a built-in BT controller that is meant for proper charging procedures.
● It bears the reverse polarity system for users protection.
● It works well for outdoor purposes.
● It has a microcontroller with a 3 step process.
● It is water and spark proof.
● It failed easily.
● It has some warranty issues.
Model: Solar Charger
Item Weight: 2.5lbs.
Product Dimension: 17.8 x 17.8 x 3 inches
What Are The Popular Battery Tender’s Accessories For A Motorcycle?
Battery Tender comes with a variety of accessories that you can use for your chargers. You can purchase these accessories in any online portals and websites.
● Wireless Battery Monitor
● Ring Terminal Harness
● Alligator Clips
● Extension leads
● OBD II connectors
● Power Connectors
● Carry Bags
● USB wall chargers and more.
1. Battery Tender 081-0158 Quick Disconnected Plug With USB Charger
This BT Disconnect Plug is one of the best accessories you can get for your BT charger. It has a 12V input with a maximum output of 2.1 amps.
It is considered to be the most portable and perfect charging tool for your tablets, camera, or any E-tools and gadgets that you charge using a USB. It is also crafted to be used on a 12V battery. The quick disconnection feature of this BT model is handy and helpful. It has a rubber flap that will give protection to your connectors.
● It has an output of 2.1 amps.
● It is portable and compact.
● It has a rubber flap protection for charger connectors.
● It is the perfect charger for your motorcycle and ATVs.
● No known weakness or complaints.
Model: Quick Disconnect Adaptor
Item Weight: 1.6 ounces
Product Dimension: 5.5 x 1 x 5 inches
2. Battery Tender Black 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor For Quick Disconnect
This BT Female Cigarette Adaptor has speedy disconnecting features. It can attach to the motorcycle battery directly. This accessory can recharge mobile phones, any 12V accessory, and a GPS device. You can use it while charging or while in transit.
● It comes with a 6 ft. Cable for easier access.
● It can reach attachments of handlebar like GPS and MP3 players.
● It is a plug and plays.
● It has a protective flap.
● It uses a ring post connection that can fit in any cell lug.
● It is made of high-quality materials.
● It has thin wires.
● It can’t accommodate 5 to 7 amps.
Model: Cigarette lighter Adaptor
Item Weight: 3.2 ounce
Product Dimension: 7 x 5.5 x 1 inches
The Best Battery Tender Tips & Instructions For Your Motorcycle
I am going to give you the best battery tender tips and instructions that you can use for your motorcycle. Follow these tips, and you can never go wrong in maintaining your battery, giving it a more extended and efficient life.
1. Test and charge process. In modern battery tenders, it is typically controlled by the use of a microprocessor. It uses a program with multiple steps in charging to repair and maintain your vehicle battery. Most of them can be guided and adequately set and set aside without creating a problem. It can do its primary functions even without your intervention.
It can be extra useful, convenient, and helpful to those who will be using their motorcycles very rarely.
2. Right storage for the battery. To give a longer life for your vehicle’s battery, proper maintenance and care should be observed. Even when you are not using your battery, you should know the appropriate way to keep it alive and active.
The best way to care for your battery is to detach the cables, both the positive and the negative terminals. Make sure that it doesn’t take any damage or leaks to the case of the battery.
It will be better to use goggles and gloves for your protection. If you can see any corrosion, you must remove it using a baking soda. Check the battery for its electrolyte levels. Charge your batteries and check the electrolyte levels once again.
3. Battery tender use. Some batteries permit you to plug the charger, connect the terminals, and to power it on. As you fill your charger in the wall outlet, see to it that the leads are correctly connected to the correct terminals.
Most Battery Tenders are equipped with reverse polarity protection for the users. (Read one of my article that explains how to use a battery tender on your motorcycle).
What Is Motorcycle Battery Tender?
Battery Tender is a device that you plugged in an AC outlet. It conveys the power in amps forms going to your 12V battery. Battery Tenders help keep the cells operational for a long time even during the times of inactivity. These BT chargers are essential if you are not used to running your vehicles regularly.
How Does A Motorcycle Battery Tender Work?
A motorcycle battery tender is easy to use. There are also a wide variety of battery tender models that you can choose. Battery Tender works to give the motorcycle battery a full charge and keep it at work anytime.
When the battery reaches the full charge, most battery tender models have an automatic switch that changes the full charge mode to a floating manner. Float mode is the activation of the trickle charge that keeps sending the small currents to keep it up and full even when it is not in use.
Will A Motorcycle Battery Tender Work On A Car?
The answer is not recommended. A motorcycle battery tender can work on a car, but it will take time before it can reach the full charge state.
The reason for this is because motorcycle BT is smaller compared to a car battery. The voltage is lesser than the capacity of the battery itself. BT’s are meant to send trickle charges to the motorcycle battery. Therefore, when you use it to a car battery, the effect would be insignificant.
Though there are BT that are powerful and efficient like the car battery charger, there is nothing wrong if you try. No need to worry about overcharging since motorcycle battery tenders are a lot smaller and have small voltages and current too.
Motorcycle battery Tender Junior Vs. Plus: Which One Is Better?
Choosing the best between these two models depends on the one who will use it and depending on the purpose of using it. Each of these battery tender models has its specifications and characteristics.
If you want compact and portability, you can have the battery tender junior, but if you require more power and stability, the BT plus can be a reliable source.
The BT junior is spark-free and has a protection against reverse polarity, so you can never go wrong on putting the terminals. Compared to BT plus, a junior is not capable of recharging an already dead battery, which is the advantage of the BT Plus. With the battery having enough juice, it can still recharge even a dead battery.
So, if you will ask me about which one is better, a Junior or a Plus? I guess both are best in their own little way. Each battery is designed for a particular purpose and usage. Determine your usage and purpose for using the battery tender. From there you can easily decide which one is the best for you.
What Type Of Battery Charger Do You Need For Your Motorcycle?
Battery charger varies depending on your motorcycle needs and fits. You should know what you are looking for. Every motorcycle has its requirements and specifications. Identifying these characteristics will help you determine the type of charger you will need for your bikes.
There are factors that you need to consider in choosing the right battery charger for your motorcycle unit.
1. The type of battery. All motorcycle battery tenders have different specifications. It cannot charge all types of battery. The most common types of cells are the lead-acid, sealed maintenance free, AGM, and Gel batteries.
2. Amperage peak. The measurement of the current’s highest peak is called the Peak amperes. Higher peak amperes can give out more current by the Tender minus the damaging effects. Peak amperes for a motorcycle unit should not be a cause for concern. If you are storing your bike, you have to be more specific and concerned about battery maintenance.
3. Charge time. Battery Tenders for motorcycles varies in the average charge time. Though the most average Tenders can have 2 to 10 hours charging time. If BT has a faster charging time, the more the price becomes expensive. But if you will be storing your bike, it is not essential to have a fast charger but something that can stabilize a full charge and take care of the overall status of the battery.
4. Portability. BT units are smaller and lighter. They are compact and portable, which is easy to carry. However, it still needs an AC power, which gives a limitation to its portability. Now, if you will be storing your motorcycle, the issue of portability is not a problem.
5. Easy to use. The factor of easiness is a personal note. It is entirely subjective since it depends from one person to the other. An easy one for me may be the most difficult one for the others. However, with BTs, everything comes easy.
Battery Tender Vs. Trickle Charger
Let’s set the difference between a battery tender and a trickle charger. A battery tender is also known as the battery maintainer. BT can sense how much charge is needed by the battery. After charging a cell, the battery tender sends in a slow current that will only maintain or keep the current charge status of the battery.
This slow current is what the trickle charge does. The battery tender charges the battery that can identify how much charge is needed. It changes to a trickle charge once the battery is fully charged, avoiding the overheating issue of the assault.
How Long Does Motorcycle Battery Tender Take To Charge A Motorcycle Battery?
Motorcycle Battery Tender with an automatic switch has no danger of overcharging a battery. You can leave it on and walk away, and it will take care of itself. However, battery tenders without the auto switch need to charge between 4 to 24 hours with periodical checking and monitoring while the battery charges. You don’t want to overheat your batteries for that matter.
Charging And Testing
There are several ways to test motorcycle batteries. Testing tools can be bought on the market.
1. You have to check the battery thoroughly to make sure that it has a mechanical problem.
2. After reviewing the problem, you have to be sure that it comes from the battery.
3. Do a voltage standing test.
4. Proceed to test the cranking voltage.
5. Do a check on the current draw.
6. Repair whatever is needed.
7. Proceed to troubleshoot the issue.
Do you want to know about this specific topic? Then please read my article that will help you understanding better.
The Top Dealers For Motorcycle Battery Tenders For Sale Near You!
I will give you the top dealers of motorcycle battery tenders near your area. They offer the various models of battery tenders, which you can use efficiently for your motorcycles.
Walmart is an American owned outlet which is spread across America. It has several supermarket chains which offer battery tenders. It is one of the largest stores in America who also have their online shops. You can also place your order online through Walmart and received your order right at the comfort of your own home.
One of the leading battery shops in the USA, AutoZone specializes in batteries. If you have battery needs, visit any AutoZone shops near you, and they surely have the array that you want.
Autozone also offers online battery shopping. Shop your battery online, and they will gladly deliver it right at your doorstep. The good thing about AutoZone is that they do other services like checking and diagnosing your batteries and installing it for you.
3. Canadian Tire
Canadian Tire is a Canadian brand company that retails on automotive and battery supplies. Just like Autozone, Canadian Tire can also do diagnostic and testing for your cells. They offer a wide array of battery brands and models.
4. Home Depot
Home Depot is an all-around shop like Walmart. They offer a variety of products, from groceries to household tools to automotive supplies and tools.
They offer a wide variety of batteries for your vehicles like cars and motorcycles. It delivers your array ordered online.
5. Advance Auto Parts
Advance Auto Parts specializes in automotive parts and tools. These auto parts include car and motorcycle batteries. There are several Advance Auto Parts within the USA.
They can install, diagnose, and check your batteries. They also offer other auto parts and tools needed for the repair.
Can You Buy A Motorcycle Battery Tender Outside Of USA?
Yes, battery tender is available to buy even when you are out of the US.
You can buy a battery tender in Canada. Canadian Tire offers battery tender. You can purchase it at any Canadian Tire outlet when you are in Canada.
Battery Tender is also available in the UK. You can make your purchase at any Amazon.com UK if you want to order online. The leading bike stores in the UK also offer Battery Tender.
Yes, even Australia has the battery tender in both their battery shops and online battery shops too. Australia is offering Battery Tender and is getting a fair market share in that area.
Battery Tender is also available in New Zealand. Battery Tender is slowly invading the world. With the number of countries offering battery tender brand, I can say that it is gradually getting its market share like its leading competitor. A lot of dealers and online stores in New Zealand have battery tender as their first product to offer.
Motorcycle Battery Tender has a variety of models and usage. If you own a motorcycle, it is practical to have a battery tender handy all the time.