Almost all of us today have a cell phone. It is a gadget that has become so essential in our everyday lives. Cell phones are not only a tool for communication. It is also our source of fun and entertainment. With so many apps to choose from, we use our cell phones for just about anything. We bring our cell phones with us anywhere.
That’s why it is important that the battery of our cell phones remain long lasting and durable. However, there will come a time when our phone’s batteries won’t work the way they used to. Should you buy a new phone battery then? No. There is still some hope for your phone battery.
In this article, let me share with you the steps to recondition your cell phone battery so that you won’t have to buy a new one.
3 Common Problems With Phone Batteries
Let’s start by understanding the common problems of our phone’s batteries.
1. A Micro-USB Port That Has Been Damaged
Many cell phones have in them a micro-USB port. This port is designed so that you can charge your phone. However, you should know that the port’s internal contacts are sensitive and thin. They are vulnerable to damage. This is especially true if you didn’t use the original charger for charging. A damaged port is among the top reasons why you are having some problems with your cell phone battery. Take note of this and be mindful of the charger you are using.
2. Capacity Loss Of The Battery
As time goes on, you will begin to notice that your cell phone needs to be charged often. It seems as though the battery cannot hold its charge for a long time like when it was brand new. This scenario can also be observed with the batteries of laptops. There is a loss in the battery’s capacity as it grows older.
3. Mechanical Damage
Remember the time when you accidentally dropped your phone? You may not remember which time that was because you may have dropped it several times already and you don’t know at which instance the damage was caused. You should know that our cell phone can be easily damaged. Our cell phone’s battery is especially vulnerable.
How To Test A Dead Battery
There will be times that it will be hard to determine for sure if the problem lies with the battery or with something else such as the software. It’s a good thing that there is a device that you can use to test your battery. It is easy to use, and it doesn’t cost that much at all.
Try looking for a USB battery capacity detector. With this device, you can connect your phone with the use of a USB. The device will then provide you will information about the battery such as its capacity and voltage level.
Reconditioning Your Cell Phone Battery
In this section, let’s proceed with the steps to reviving your phone’s battery. For this process, you will be needing a multimeter, a resistor at 300ohm to 1kiloohm, and a charger at 5v to 12v.
These are the steps to take:
1. Using the resistor, attach the supply’s positive terminal on to the battery’s positive terminal.
2. Plug in the charger, and you will see the battery’s voltage level increasing.
3. After that, you can place the battery back into your cell phone and then continue charging it through the usual method.
It sounds so simple, right? But let me explain to you how this works. Each of our cell phone’s battery has in them a transistor disconnecting the terminals. Once the battery’s voltage begins to drop significantly, the phone’s controller may not be able to recognize its battery. This is why when you charge your cell phone; you’ll see that it’s not charging.
However, when you attach the battery through the terminals directly, the current skip the controller and goes directly to the battery.
Check This Video For Smartphone Users
Selecting A New Battery
If the procedure above doesn’t see to work for your cell phone battery, then you may have to consider getting a new one. Cell phone batteries are widely available in online shops, your cell phone manufacturer’s official store, or any store that sells cell phones, batteries, and other accessories. However, since the choices of where to buy cell phone batteries are plenty, you should be careful of the product that you will buy.
Here are some of the steps to take when selecting a new battery:
1. Check the price range of the cell phone battery as well as the details of its warranty. If you see a very low price for a product, don’t buy it immediately as it may be fake.
2. Go online and look for suppliers with a good reputation. Check the shop of the producer as well as the shops of other companies; you may find one at a very good price.
3. Check that the battery is technically compatible with your cell phone. This means that the battery should be able to fit your phone properly and then the back cover can close normally.
4. Check for the capacity of the battery. To do this, look at the amp-hour or the watt-hour of the battery you are thinking about buying. Those with higher ratings are the better options.
Extending The Life Of Your Cell Phone Battery
A great phone with a bad battery is deemed useless. Don’t waste the potential of your phone by not taking care of your cell phone battery properly.
Let me share with you 3 tips that you can use to extend the mobile phone battery’s life below.
1. Initializing your new battery. Before using your cell phone, charge it fully first so that the battery can reach its maximum capacity. For batteries that are nickel-based, charge them for sixteen hours and then after that, let the battery run through about two to four cycles of discharge and recharge. As for lithium-ion batteries, you don’t need to recharge them for about five to six hours. (By the way you can also check the article on how to recondition lithium-ion battery).
2. Don’t let your lithium ion battery to fully discharge. This kind of battery will lose much of its capacity if you leave it to fully discharge. When there is just one bar left, charge it already.
3. Keeping the battery cool. Batteries don’t like heat. It is best to keep them at room temperature. Don’t leave them where there is direct sunlight.
Now you know how to recondition a cell phone battery. It is very simple and easy. You can do it anytime. But in case you really need a new cell phone battery. Hopefully, the guide i have provided above can help you in selecting the best one. If you have any questions about reconditioning cell phone batteries, don’t hesitate to email me. I’d be happy to help you out.